Thursday 6 September 2012

Sleep In Rollers Review: My Honest Opinion


I've heard so much hype about the Velcro Sleep In Rollers that I decided to try them for myself. I thought they would be handy to have instead of spending ages using the curling wand to curl my hair. I also heard the rollers give you good volume and because my hairs quite long it tends to get weighed down and lacks volume so I thought they'd be great! Especially after seeing the girls on Desperate Scousewives etc wearing them and then later you'd see them with big bouncy curls!


Lauren Goodger

I got mine for €20.49 (20 rollers) in a local pharmacy. I couldn't wait to put them in.. I then realised you needed hair clips to pin them into place. I didn't have any so I had to wait to put them in until I got a few packs.
Now, I don't know if I'm just thick but I had trouble putting them in. I had to get a hand from my good oul Mam to put them in. Its hard to pin them into place when you can't see what you're doing!
The night that I put them in I went to bed.. Now below I'll insert a section of the post that I wrote at about 12am that night when I couldn't sleep. I wanted to make sure I remembered exactly how I felt that night..



"So I was going to write this post after I'd tried the rollers and taken after photos etc etc. But its 12am and I'm in bed with them in and I can't sleep so I decided to at least write part of the post so I'd remember how I felt at this moment.. I AM NOT HAPPY. I can't sleep with these yokes sticking in my head. 'Sleep in' my arse! I understand they're probably more comfortable than regular hard rollers but the sleep in part is bullshit. I've slept in hard rollers before and I don't notice any difference between the two. My neck hurts so much right now :( This better be worth it!!"

So after writing that I tried both sleeping with and without a pillow (neither helped). I woke up numerous times so uncomfortable that I was just praying it was 7.30am so that I could get up. Which is crazy, usually I'm praying I've a few more hours in bed, not the opposite! I couldn't even get up before then because I knew I'd be driving all day and needed to make sure I was rested! But anyway, after waking up numerous times, 7.30 finally came.

I was so excited to get up, take out my rollers and have big bouncy curls. I did my makeup and started to take them out.. Jesus were they painful to take out, I nearly pulled the hair out of head trying to get my hair off the velcro! I started to notice that there was no curl at all, my hair was mostly straight with a flick at the end. Now my hair wouldn't be difficult to curl, it curls when I put it in a bun! Needless to say I was disappointed. Yes there was a bit of volume but overall -to put it bluntly BUT honestly- my hair looked like crap (which is why I didn't even bother taking a photo). I ended up curling my hair with my trusty curling wand.

Amy Childs

Later that night I went onto youtube to see other girls reviews. Their hair turned out pretty much the same with mainly flicked in and out ends so I knew it wasn't just me. But they seemed happy with the result which was good. I know not many people will agree with me and may like that kind of look but its just not what I like or was going for. I just wish I had of researched more before spending 20 euros on them. I might use them a few hours before curling my hair for a bit of volume but I will NEVER sleep in them again. Its just not worth it.

So that's my view on the sleep in rollers. Again, everyone's opinion is different. I just think they were hyped up a bit (I don't know how the celebrities get big bouncy curls from them because I certainly didnt!).

Is it just me that thinks this way? Did I caught up in my dreams of big bouncy curls and were my expectations too high?

24 comments:

  1. I googled these rollers to find a review before I got any and yours was the first that came up! I'm so glad I found it as your review was pretty much what I suspected would be the outcome, so thank you!
    Claire
    www.prettywithapunch.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much, I started to feel a bit bad about saying I didnt like them because everyone else raves about them but they didnt do what I expected or wanted them to so its not my fault haha.
      x

      Delete
  2. Your review was great! I was going to buy some and the thought I'd google it first. I cant see how they are confortable to sleep in althought it is a great idea. I think they have been falsely advertised in my opinion as when you mention "rollers" you think of curly hair whereas these give just volume and a wave. Dont get me wrong I think it looks nice but it doesnt give you curls as the adverts suggest. Thanks for putting the world of rollers right ha! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it! I wouldn't mind but the celebs wearing them seem to have curly hair afterwards!
      You've basically narrowed down what I was trying to say into a paragraph while I rambled on haha. I think they were hyped up waaay too much, and tbh the people who I've seen raving about them were the ones sent them for free.
      x

      Delete
  3. So glad i decided to review these before buying them as i was almost about to hit the pay button, i have tried lots of velcro rollers and none of them have met my expections of big bouncy curls i want the type cheryl cole has and the towie cast but nothing iv tried has worked :-( i suspected these would be the same thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had of done that! Im the exact same, I wanted proper curls not just flicky out ends. Im glad you didnt waste your money like i did :(

      x

      Delete
  4. Hi, I use the old fashioned type pink, sponge rollers that my Grandmother used to use, they are small about 2 inches long, they have a plastic fastener attached which after you have wound your hair around it fastens over the top and clicks into place. Asda sell them, I think they are around £2.50 for 6 something like that. To be honest I've never actually used them in my own hair, I use them in my 6 year old daughter's hair, I don't want to use tongs/heated rollers/straighteners on her hair yet, her hair is very thick and is down to her waist. I wash & dry her hair, put them in & she sleeps in them, she never wakes up uncomfortable wanting me to take them out & the next morning her hair is a mass of tight ringlets which after you comb them out with a tail comb end up being a mass of gorgeous curls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again, my hair is quite long & layered, it takes ages to blow dry & is quite greasy so I have to wash it every 3 days, I have 2 young children & really haven't got the time to spend ages on it every morning. For years I used my mum's 70's carmen heated rollers until they eventually broke. I bought some babyliss heated rollers which were rubbish & I ended up taking them back. I searched everywhere looking for ones like my 70's ones even the updated carmen ones were useless, they just didn't give the tight curl which the old ones did. I eventually bought some original second hand carmen rollers off ebay which were similar to my old ones, they had hardly been used, and are fantastic plus they only cost me £7.00!!! I "rough dry" my hair then put the rollers in for around 20 minutes, pull them out, then put my hair in a scrunchie winding as much of the hair into a tight bun as I can, take the kids to school, drive to work, then once at work pull the scrunchie out and my hair is a mass of bouncy curls & looks like "I've just come out of a salon" - one of my colleagues comments not mine lol. So my advice is keep your eye out on ebay, it took me a couple of months but I eventually got them, people are always putting them on there. Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment, Im definitely thinking of getting a set of heated rollers!

      x

      Delete
  6. Hey, thanks so much Emma! I also was going to order them. Glad I saw your review first but sad they werent great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome, glad to help :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your honest review. I use the really cheap foam/sponge rollers, but replace the hard plastic centre bit with a cotton rag so they're completely squishy. I was looking for something a little larger for softer more relaxed curls, but now I think I'll stick with what I have!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're welcome. Oooh thats a good idea!
    Thank you for taking the time to comment!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so pleased i found your review! Iv been tempted to buy some of those but won't now iv read this! Thank you for saving me some pennies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so true! Although it's best to put them in when your hair is under heat or wet so it sets better, it should say it on the packet!! When I was a hairdresser we used to leave the rollers in and then re curl majority of the curls with a wand and use setting spray ect. which is what other people don't see! If you're ever up for giving it another try, see if it works :)! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip Hannah I'll definitely have to try that!
      x

      Delete
  12. Use the good old fashioned pin curl, you don't need any rollers but you will get great structured curls that last all day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Use the good old fashioned pin curl, you don't need any rollers but you will get great structured curls that last all day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Use the good old fashioned pin curl, you don't need any rollers but you will get great structured curls that last all day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. there's been a lot of hype about these rollers, and it would appear that the rave reviews are sponsored. Great idea, but doesn't seem to translate into practice. Thanks for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am one of the idiots who buys first, checks reviews later. i got these in dubai, being excited that i will eventually get some volume! I have exactly the same feedback plus more. Firstly, i could hardly sleep, my a** they are sleep in, they are hard and do not bend and as some promotional girl said in her you tube video: Feel like a head massage...i dont know what kind of massage that is???? More like a torture. To make things worse, when i started taking them off, the hair got kinked and stuck in the rollers (my hair is fine, flyaway hair but lots of it) and i LITERALLY had to rip them off.....i feel like i lost a bunch of my hairs in one go and i have to say - THESE ARE THE WORST ROLLERS I HAVE EVER>.....EVER EVER TRIED. Please don't buy them ladies. Stick with the foamy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hahaha I just found this review after being sent some to review and i wondered what people really though. so, THANK YOU. i have no hopes of them working my hair, and i didn't want to be the only person whose hair looked like crap.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it! I try to reply to every comment within 24 hours so if you have asked a question make sure to check back as you may not get notifications! x